Black Mountain Turnip is a variety with white flesh and dark brown, almost black skin. It has an elongated and slender shape of about 20 cm, although it can grow up to 35 cm.
It is very well adapted to cold and dry areas. This turnip is very appreciated for being thinner and tastier than other varieties. It can be eaten boiled, in salads, preserved, in stews or as chips.
Les Refardes - Black Mountain Turnip - Sowing and characteristics:
- Direct sowing in late August
- Thin out, leaving 10-15 cm between plants
- Harvest from November onwards
- Sachet: Approximately 200 seeds
- All Les Refardes seeds are of local variety and organic production
- Origin: Carme Plana, Can Rovira, Batet de la Serra and Teresa Coll from Mieres
- Place and harvest year: Cal Pauet, L'Espunyola (Berguedà), 2017; Collbahí, Mieres (La Garrotxa) 2018, 2020