How to make marijuana sweets
List of contents
The Cannabis Kitchen
Food is a great way to consume both medical marijuana or cannabis for recreational use. This method avoids the harm caused by combustion when smoking (and mixing it with tobacco), giving a more longer lasting effect than when smoked.
In this article we will explain how to make marijuana sweets that can be easily preserved with the use of clarified butter, the preparation of which we explain below.
Clarified Marijuana Butter
Butter consists mostly of lipids, but also contains some protein (casein) and carbohydrates (lactose). By clarifying butter we recover the fatty part that interests us for extracting cannabinoids from the marijuana plant. This technique, easy to perform, will concentrate more active ingredients in the butter, but, above all, will improve its heat resistance and conservation.
- Use soft butter, if possible (unsalted)
- Melt the butter on low heat (or bain-marie)
- Using a spoon, remove the white foam that appears on the surface (mainly casein and milk protein)
- Repeat until no foam appears.
- Transfer the liquid butter into another container taking care to leave the solid particles (whey) found at the bottom of the pan, or remove them with the help of a coffee filter.
It should only remain the yellow oily part, composed of fatty acids. Note that the clarified butter, also called Ghi or Ghee can be purchased at some supermarkets or grocery stores. The only thing we have to do now is to transform is the ghee - clarified butter - into clarified marijuana butter. Remember that cannabinoids such as THC or CBD are soluble in fats like oil or butter, but not in water.
In our example we will use 250 grams of ghee following this recipe:
- Heat 1L of water .
- Add 30 to 100 grams of marijuana ( according to the quality and potency of the used matter)
- Heat the mixture for a few minutes and throw away the first cooking water to remove most of the chlorophyll, which will ensure a sweeter taste.
- Refill the pot with marijuana with 1L of water and add the ghee.
- Leave to simmer for about two hours stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and filter the liquid with anice -o- lator bag or a clean cloth bag
- Squeeze the ball of marijuana with the filter to recover the butter trapped inside the plant matter.
- Use oven gloves ( or something similar) so you don't burn your hands!
- Cool the liquid in the refrigerator.
- Approximately 24 hours later, the butter forms a solid crust on the surface which can be easily removed with the help of a flat knife .
- Remove the excess of water.
The quality and strength of the butter depends largely on the plant material used. Large leafs contain little resin and a lots of chlorophyll, therefore they are not a good choice. Avoid using the stems as they give an unpleasant taste. In general, use the small leaves of the buds covered with resin, or low quality marijuana buds : Early harvests, unflushed buds, seeded buds, unpleasant taste, small buds with too many leafs...
To obtain the maximum quality butter you can also use beautiful cannabis buds, including extractions of trichomes; in this case the butter will be highly concentrated in active ingredients. Do not use marijuana that contains molds, or plant material that has been treated with phytosanitary products during the flowering phase. For medicinal use of marijuana, it is possible to use cannabis strains with a close 1/1 THC/CBD ratio, these will have more therapeutic potential and a more limited psychoactiveness.
Marijuana Sweets Recipe
To prepare these marijuana sweets you need :
- 300 grams of powdered sugar
- 200 grams of chocolate (black or milk chocolate)
- 200 grams of marshmallows
- 150 ml ( 200g ) of sweetened condensed milk
- 120 grams of marijuana butter
- liquid vanilla extract. You can also add nuts, almonds , hazelnuts , seeds ...
This recipe contains a lot of sugar, it is not recommended for diabetics or for those who must limit their blood sugar levels.
Cooking marijuana sweets:
- Grease a silicone mold with a little cannabis butter
- Chop the chocolate and the marshmallows into small pieces
- In a saucepan, heat marijuana butter over medium heat, adding sugar, condensed milk. Stir continuously until boiling
- Reduce to simmer and continue stirring for about 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate, marshmallows and vanilla
- Be sure the mixture is not boiling during this stage
- Continue mixing until it gets homogeneous
- Pour the mixture into the silicone mold and refrigerate
- A few hours later, unmold the result and cut it into cubes or strips of the desired size
- Finally, all you have to do is enjoy it!
Consumption of marijuana sweets
As the potency of the effect of the cannabis sweets depends on what is used (quantity and quality), the efficiency of the cannabinoids extraction, and the tolerance of the consumer, unfortunately we can not give you a precise dosage. Therefore, the simplest rule is to start by eating a tiny amount of the sweet, and wait at least an hour in order to realise the effect.
If it’s not enough, gradually increase it until you find the ideal dosage, and always wait at least 1 hour between each intake, to avoid unpleasant effects. You can also test a precise amount of butter -for example 1 or 2 grams - on a slice of bread to try to estimate the potency of your cannabis recipe depending on the amount of butter used to make the sweets.
We remind you that it is very important to keep these cannabis sweets out of reach of children (and animals). Do not forget that the effects of ingested marijuana begin between 15-60 minutes after the ingestion, and last approximately 6-8 hours.
Therefore, we must be very careful, especially those who are not used to smoke or eat marijuana.
We wish you bon appetit and we’ll see you soon with new cannabis recipes for cooking with marihuana .